[Proj] Time dependent coordinate transformations

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 5 16:23:50 EST 2015

Le lundi 05 janvier 2015 21:13:36, Chris Crook a écrit :
> Even
>
> Thanks for the quick response and thanks for the suggestion of the MetaCRS
> list.
>
> Comments below...

https://confluence.qps.nl/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=29855153 shows that
there are 5 EPSG codes for the various NAD83 realizations in geodetic
projections. Not sure that they all have associated corresponding projected
systems though.

> I have seen that, and a similar approach could be used for one-off
> transformations in New Zealand.  However that doesn't feel like the right
> approach in the long term. On the other hand any systematic change to
> handle time dependent transformations will doubtless take a long time to
> be widely implemented, so it is great to have work arounds in the mean
> time!

Agreed...

> > > The issues for the GIS software stack
> > > =====================================
> > >
> > > I believe there are two issues facing GIS systems in handling time
> > > based transformations.
> > >
> > > 1) Where are the parameters of time based transformations defined
> > >
> > > 2) When transforming a coordinate how is the time parameter included in
> >
> > the
> >
> > > transformation API
> > >
> > > It seems fairly straightforward to expand the definitions of coordinate
> > > systems in PROJ and the EPSG registry to include additional parameters.
> > > The to_wgs84 parameters could readily be extended to include the 14
> > > parameter plus reference epoch time dependent Bursa Wolf
> >
> > transformation.
> >
> > > Some datum transformations already include nested grids, so extending
> >
> > this
> >
> > > to include grids with associated time functions also seems feasible.
> >
> > Agreed although in the case of HTDP, the production of grids result from
> > the result of a (apparently complex) computation process where you have
> > to provide
> > src_crs, src_crs_date, dst_crs and dst_crs_date. Regarding proj.4 one
> > could have a fixed (dst_crs, dst_crs_date) by convention, but one would
> > still have varying src_crs_date for a given src_crs. Perhaps
> > pre-generate grids for each year and linearly interpolate between them ?
>
> I believe that there is just one one date for these transformations.

I meant that for HTDP, my impression with my limited testing is that you can
actually specify one date for each of the both CRS and it will use each one,
presumably using some pivot as a reference, to generate the final grid.

Transforming from NAD83(2011) at T=2014.0 into WGS84(G730) at T=1991.0 gives a
different result from NAD83(2011) at T=2011.0 into WGS84(G730) at T=1991.0, and
different from NAD83(2011) at T=2014.0 into WGS84(G730) at T=1986.0

> [...]
> system it was defined in terms of.  However at other times it is offset
> from the international system by an approximately known amount
> representing the total movement of the tectonic plate on which the nation
> lies.  Hence the time dependent transformation.
>
> > > However to be widely supported this will need appropriate standards to
> > > be defined for the common parameter sets of time dependent
> >
> > transformations.
> >
> > > (There may also a question of what reference datum the transformations
> >
> > are
> >
> > > defined in terms of, if any.  The to_wgs84 parameters implies a WGS84
> > > based reference datum, but in fact WGS84 is a series of datum
> > > realisations)
> >
> > I can imagine that the "pivot" WGS84 could be an arbitrarily chosen WGS84
> > realization (hoping that the use of 2 successive shifts will not harm too
> > much precision)
>
> I think an approach like this is possibly the best that can be done
> practically. There are multiple published relationships between different
> international datums, and between them and national datums, which means
> that the relationships are not unambiguously defined.  I'm not sure how
> this could usefully be included in coordinate system registries and
> transformations.
>
> > > The second question is how a time parameter is supplied to a
> >
> > transformation
> >
> > > function.  Logically this is associated with a feature.
> >
> > Yes, if you consider that a dataset can contain a collection of features
> > whose coordinates have been collected at different times. But one could
> > also assume
> > that within a dataset, they all refer to the same time (this would be
> > similar to considering that in a dataset you don't mix features with
> > coordinates in different SRS, which is the usual practice), couldn't we
> > ? In which case the time parameter could be a property of the SRS, or
> > presumably next to the SRS
> > (since SRS can be transported by codes, and you can't code each different
> > time).
> >
> > There's also the topic of raster maps (for high precision mapping) that
> > could also be affected by time dependant transformations. But in that
> > case it is obvious that a single time must be considered for the whole
> > map.
>
> I'm not thinking that datasets will generally have different times (even if
> the data were originally collected that way).  More that the
> transformation API's ultimately work on coordinates.  So even if a
> feature's coordinates are not stored with a time, the dataset time could
> be assigned to the feature in preparation for the transformation (in the
> same way as we might set a SRS id to a feature).
>
> The question here is whether to have a separate API for transformations
> that require a time, or whether to use the same API and embed the time
> within the feature/coordinate being transformed.

Regarding proj4, there wouldn't be any particular difficulty to extend its API,
being a string, to include a "+time=XXXX.YY" parameter. The difficulty would be
more in the logic to make something usefull with that time parameter. For
Bursa-Wolf with derivatives, this should be easy. For grids, less obvious.

> In terms of implementation I guess there will be efficiencies in preparing
> a transformation for a specific epoch - in effect defining a
> transformation object which is used for transformations and which can
> cache prepared transformations.  I'm not sure how this will sit with
> existing API's.
>
> I'm not familiar with transforming raster maps, though I imagine the
> process would be to transform a set of reference coordinates that are used
> to morph the raster?

The naive way of transforming/warping a raster dataset is to consider the
coordinate of the center of each pixel and to transform it into the target
reference coordinate and build an image from that, which is an already solved
problem. So if we know how to do a time-dependant transform for a feature, no
particular difficulty transposing that to the raster side. But I just wanted to
mention it for the sake of completeness as a "user" of such transforms.

http://www.spatialys.com