[Proj] PROJ.4 and OpenMP

support at mnspoint.com support at mnspoint.com
Thu Jul 2 13:07:49 EST 2015

Hello Jose,

if I remember correctly all what Frank W. did was that he added a single
line containing a mutex object to the source code .. that was all. You
might want to run a file comparsion for the first "multithreaded" proj.4
and the version before it .. but just a single line was added I assume?!

So most likely what you should do is to use that mutex object .. there
should be lot of examples about how to use a mutex objects in the
network.

https://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/ThreadSafety

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686927%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It depends what you are doing if you really need such saftey .. most
simple programs do not need that .. or they can do the proj.4 interface
in such a way that there will never be any need to have it thread safe
.. meaning that the slow speed proj.4 calculations for large data sets
should be done in forehand before the program enters any hard graphics
work for example .. and that way it just speeds up to avoid that all
together! -- but what are you doing dictates that of course.

Regards: Janne.