[Proj] Experiment to speed up proj.4 by 2 or more

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jun 23 12:26:45 EST 2015

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> José Luis,
>

>> 1. Introducing C++: From my point of view, one of the PROJ best things
>> is that it is written in pure C.
>
> In which respect is the actual implementation of proj important to you as a
> user, if you can still use it as a C library ? All nowadays C compilers should
> be able to deal with C++ as well, and here I'm only using C++98 features (I'd
> even say C++83 ;-)), not C++14.

That's not the only question; there's also packaging and portability.
It could be that people only run proj on desktop systems that already
have C++.

Wiuh respect to packaging, are you proposing to detect the SSE
instructions at compile time, or at runtime, and how does this interact
with building packages on one system that run on another.  Or is this
only for amd64?