[Proj] Proj 4.9.1RC4 Released

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Tue Mar 3 17:13:33 EST 2015

OK, thanks for the explanation.

I only have the most tenuous grasp on the intricacies of exporting
symbols to a dll so I don't think I can have been responsible for this
warning.  It might be worth switching to a shared library as a default
for Windows *after* the release of 4.9.1 to see what breaks.  If
something does break, then there should be some way of fixing it.

   --Charles

On 2015-03-03 16:56, nicolas david wrote:
> Hi Charles
>
> Being the guy behind proj4-cmake old repository I supect to be also the
> guy who wrote this warning.
> If a remember well is due to the fact that nad2nad and nad2bin include
> "project.h" and not "proj_api.h". So as on windows dll only include
> (export) symbol defined in proj_api.h ( more precisely in proj.def) I
> was thinking that when you include "project.h" it's better to link to
> static lib in order to have all symbol defined.
>
> I'm note 100% of this fact and I could be wrong but I think it was the
> explanation of this warning.  Looking deeper in the code it seems that
> nad2bin only use struct defined in project.h and not function so it
> could work.
>
> Nicolas DAVID

> <mailto:charles.karney at sri.com>>:
>
>     To stay consistent with our previous (4.8.0) build of proj on Windows,
>     I'd like to build proj as a shared library.  However this triggers a
>     warning
>
>     nad2nad can't be build with a DLL proj4 library you need a static lib
>
>     Can anyone explain the origin of this warning?  I note that the nad2nad
>     executable gets created OK with the shared library and that it can
>     report its usage when given no arguments.
>
>     On 2015-02-24 16:28, Howard Butler wrote:
>      >
>      >> On Feb 23, 2015, at 8:04 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg
>     <sebastic at xs4all.nl <mailto:sebastic at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>      >>
>      >>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/255
>      >>>
>      >>> I propose we dial back the precision on the test as Frank
>     suggested.
>      >>
>      >> That's probably the best short term solution, yes.
>     >
>     > I have issued RC4 to address this issue.
>     >
>     >http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.1RC4.tar.gz
>     >
>      > Howard

Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662