[Proj] Proj 4.9.1RC4 shared library on Windows

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Tue Mar 3 22:30:05 EST 2015

Seen from a Unix perspective, Windows' handling of shared library seems
unduly complicated.

I'm only familiar with the style of placing a macro, e.g., LIB_EXPORT,
in front of every symbol that needs to be visible in the dll.
LIB_EXPORT expands to

* nothing for static libraries and for non-Windows machines
* __declspec(dllexport) when compiling a Windows shared library
* __declspec(dllimport) when compiling a function that will link against
   the Windows shared library.

Note that it is necessary for packages that depend on the library to
make sure that LIB_EXPORT is defined correctly (and this will in turn
depend on whether the library is shared or static).  cmake makes the
ensuing convolutions relatively painless.

However, proj puts a list of exported symbols into proj.def and cmake
evidently recognizes this file.  Unfortunately, I don't know what, if
anything, needs to be done by a dependent package.  Nevertheless, as far
as I can tell, building the shared library on Windows works fine.