[Proj] Migrate to github?

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Sun Mar 15 05:59:58 EST 2015

Greg Troxel <gdt <at> ir.bbn.com> writes:

> I am unclear on osgeo hosting, but I think that in general Free Software
> projects should be hosted at Free Software-supporting nonprofits.
> (But you're the one doing the work, so I'll just say this once and be
> done.)

This is a contentious but vital point, which other Free Software foundations
have found troubling. It means that someone must have an actively maintained
plan for withdrawal from github.com should the company fold, or its domain
be blocked in jurisdictions where users and developers need access to code
and documentation.

Use of cloudy-CDN for software distribution is another very controversial
topic for similar reasons.

If PROJ closes SVN read access, I will stop tracking trunk for uses in R,
and consequently not provide reports on changes in PROJ that break other
stuff. Life is too short to use only fashionable tools (and git is not
uniformly accepted as being superior to svn).

Roger