[Proj] Migrate to github?

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Sun Mar 15 22:37:41 EST 2015

On 2015-03-15 14:25, Charles Karney wrote:

> What I think is unacceptable is a 3-year interval between releases for
> proj4.  (4.8.0 was released on 2012-03-13; 4.9.0 was never released;
> 4.9.1 was released on 2015-03-04.)
>
> Howard Butler stepped up after a long period of inactivity to make the
> latest release of proj4 happen.  I'm strongly inclined to defer to his
> wishes going forward in the hope that we can see more timely releases.

I can only blow into the same horn: it hurted me seeing PROJ.4 moving
towards abandonware, as e.g. confirmed by fact of release 4.9.0 being
abandoned.

 From my somewhat simplistic use-PROJ.4-from-source perspective, the
issue boils simply down to: "svn up" vs. "git pull". If I had to choose
between abandoned code and bug reports in a politically correct
repository vs. actively maintained code at github.com or similar: life
is too short for not choosing the latter option.

There is also:
https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/, for
those who have a preference for: svn up.

Hermann