[Proj] why doesn't the epsg file reference the hpgn grids?

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Tue Mar 17 22:32:12 EST 2015

On 2015-03-18 2:59, Richard Greenwood wrote:

> Does the proj epsg file get created from data at www.epsg.org
> <http://www.epsg.org>? And is that data lacking the reference to the
> grid shift files, or is it "lost in translation"? It seems like there is
> the wonderful resource in the harn grids that isn't getting used, but
> maybe I'm overlooking something.

Here a few observations, from a simple user perspective:
There is a somewhat complex (mysterious?) epsg-to-csv conversion process
with "upstream" elements around libgeotiff and "downstream" locations
near PROJ.4, which results in ever surprising changes in the generated
lookup files.

The changes are partly based on EPSG database updates (which is fine, of
course) but also on changing conversion logic: about which parameter set
to select in case of several available, which numeric precision to
choose when converting radians from EPSG into arc seconds used in
towgs84 values, and so on.

There are plenty of helpful grid shift files listed at
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki, but PROJ.4's epsg lookup table lists
none of them, only the null grid appears there:

$ grep nadgrids local/share/proj/epsg
<3785> +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0
+y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext  +no_defs <>
<3857> +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0
+y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext  +no_defs <>

There haven't been many releases of PROJ lately, which brought some
stability into coordinate transformations, as the positive side-effect
of an otherwise sad story. However, this is expected to change and what
I did anyway some time ago was to add my own lookup table as
local/share/proj/hermann in order to gain control over my own
transformations.

Now I can use: +init=hermann:4314, which resolves to my transformation
parameters (+proj=longlat +ellps=bessel +nadgrids=BETA2007.gsb), whereas
epsg:4314 translates to: +proj=longlat +datum=potsdam +no_defs

Hope this helps, Hermann