[Proj] Overhaul of docs/website/wiki and call for help

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 28 19:56:33 EST 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Tom Kralidis <tomkralidis at gmail.com> wrote:
> All: given the wiki transition to GitHub, I think it's a good time to
> dust off what's there and make things more clear.  Way forward:
>
> 1. Website
>
> Core presence (links to docs, wiki, download, issue tracker, FAQ, etc.
> This would be implemented in Markdown and leveraging GitHub pages,
> which would make the web presence available at
> http://osgeo.github.io/proj.4/.  If there is interest, we could
> register proj4.org (maybe OSGeo could cover?), or proj4.osgeo.org.

Tom,

I'd prefer we keep our presence at http://proj.osgeo.org/

> This would either be managed a) in a gh-pages branch within
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/ or b) a dedicated repo like
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4-www with gh-pages as the default
> branch.  Note that this will also automagically update the website as
> changes are made.  Pros/cons/suggestions/other options appreciated
> here.
>
> 2. Documentation:
>
> This would live in the codebase in docs/ and be made available on
> https://readthedocs.org/, which would automatically generate and make
> available the docs across multiple versions.  Content will be managed
> by Sphinx/reStructuredText.
>
> Table of contents:
> - Introduction
> - Installation
> - Usage
> - Testing
> - Support
> - Development
> - License
>
> Currently in the codebase I see:
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/tree/master/html: some of these are
> man pages.  How do these compare/relate to
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/tree/master/man/man1 ?
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/tree/master/docs/.  Looks like these
> are static PDFs.  Not sure what their state is.

They are quite outdated, but we don't have the ability to recreate
them and much of the material in them does not exist elsewhere.  I'd
like to continue to point to them though it would be ideal one day to
capture more of this information in dynamically maintainable docs.