[Proj] Missing proj_def.dat in 4.9.1 release

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Sep 7 08:01:46 EST 2015

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> And I've added also additional fixes : proj_def.dat was also missing in cmake,
> and there were also other 4 files in nad/ that weren't in the EXTRA_DIST. I
> realized that when adding a "self-consistency" check in .travis.yml: basically
> I do a make install from the git checkout, then a make dist-all, build and
> install (in another target dir) from the archive generated by make dist-all,
> and compare the list of installed files (
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/commit/ba3454ec0f9d1d33e165d0ace70f766c8283892e
> )

"make distcheck" is helpful.  It produces a distfile, and then unpacks
it and does a build with a different objdir and then runs make check in
that.

> Another related topic is : what should be the policy with automake/autoconf
> generated files in git :
> - regenerate them and commit them each time they are modified. Advantage: the
> export from git is always valid. Drawback: it is easy to forget regenerating
> - regenerate them only just before release time (so travis build would need to
> run ./autogen.sh)
> - drop them from git completely ( that's what is suggested by
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/282 )

my $0.02:

* Definitely remove them, and tell people run autogen.sh to create them
  when building from git.  This is the normal practice and works well.

* Define that the only valid way to create a release tarball is "make
  dist".  (I'm not sure what else you mean by "export from git".)

(I maintain the proj package in pkgsrc, a multi-arch multi-OS packaging
system.)