[Proj] Missing proj_def.dat in 4.9.1 release

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 7 23:52:11 EST 2015

Howard Butler <howard <at> hobu.co> writes:

> > On Sep 7, 2015, at 4:40 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault <at>
spatialys.com> wrote:

> > Another related topic is : what should be the policy with automake/autoconf
> > generated files in git :
> > - regenerate them and commit them each time they are modified.
Advantage: the
> > export from git is always valid. Drawback: it is easy to forget regenerating
> > - regenerate them only just before release time (so travis build would
need to
> > run ./autogen.sh)
> > - drop them from git completely ( that's what is suggested by
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/282 )
>
> My preference is also to remove them entirely, but we need to have some
kind of policy on what the
> autotools/automake variant is that does 'make dist' that ultimately makes
the distribution forthis afternoon
> release. If I were to do 'make dist' from my OSX environment and then
release that, many would not be happy
> with it, for example. We have this same challenge in libgeotiff too.
>
> I will issue a 4.9.2-RC1 tarball this afternoon.

Good, please provide a complete timeline (explaining delays), and report on
this list (or elsewhere, provided we know where) wrt. slippage. We are now
well past "this afternoon", for September 7, right?

The tarball, when it arrives, will be on:

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/

will it? Or where? While peoples' eyes are on this now, it would be
unfortunate to let it go off-radar ...

Roger