[Proj] Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 8 22:37:30 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Butler
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 3:06 AM
To: PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions
Subject: [Proj] Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Hi Howard,

> Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release
> candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final release Thursday.

2 issues on MS Windows - though I'm not so sure that either is a "major
issue".
Firstly there's one test failure for me (with both 32-bit and 64-bit mingw64
ports of gcc-4.9.2):

################################
doing tests into file tv_out, please wait
Rel. 4.9.2, 08 September 2015
<cs2cs.exe>: while processing file: <stdin>, line 1
pj_transform(): invalid x or y
Rel. 4.9.2, 08 September 2015
<cs2cs.exe>: while processing file: <stdin>, line 2
pj_transform(): acos/asin: |arg| >1.+1e-14
diff tv_out with tv_out.dist
310c310
< -140.100000 -87.000000
   987122.418330275450     -14429896.539530911000 0.000000000000
---
> -140.100000 -87.000000
>    987122.418330275454     -14429896.539530910552 0.000000000000

PROBLEMS HAVE OCCURED
test file tv_out saved
################################

Those are *not* new failures ... they were present in 4.9.1 (and perhaps
earlier).
I'm not sure if they've been previously reported.

Secondly, I see that nothing has yet been done about the impasse that
currently occurs if winreg.h (which typedefs  PVALUE) is included in user
code that also includes projects.h (which also typedefs PVALUE). See:
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/273

This was discussed in
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2015-May/007122.html
and ensuing.
I had also raised the same issue previously on the mailing list - I think
back in 2012, or perhaps a bit earlier. (I haven't dug up up a link to that
thread - IIRC it didn't contain much discussion of the issue .)

In order to build the PDL (perl) module with proj4 support, I'm therefore
still having to hack projects.h and pj_param.c to replace the occurrences of
"PVALUE" with "PROJVALUE" (or some other symbol that doesn't clash).

It's actually a lot easier and quicker to just do the hacks and say
nothing - as opposed to taking the time to send emails about the issue.
It would therefore be appreciated if either:
a) a fix is implemented;
or
b) a decision is taken to never implement a fix.

Either way, I would then be freed of the task of nagging about it :-)

Cheers,
Rob

PS. The problem with PVALUE affects only 64-bit builds of PDL.
With 32-bit builds, winreg.h still gets included - but there's no problem
with PVALUE, even though the 32-bit winreg.h also typedefs PVALUE.
Presumably, this difference is accounted for by the pre-processing that
occurs - ie on 64-bit perls the pre-processing pulls in the typedef, but on
32-bit perls the typedef is pre-processed away.
I don't see this as having any impact on what needs to be done, but feel
free to ask for deeper analysis of this difference if it's making you
uneasy.