[Proj] Proj.4 4.9.2 RC2 Released

Elliott Sales de Andrade quantum.analyst at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:47:49 EST 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 14:25, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> writes:
>
> > Proj.4 4.9.2 RC2 is now available for testing. Please download it from
>
> This builds and passes make check on NetBSD 6 i386 under pkgsrc.  The
> only difference in installed files from 4.9.1 is proj_def.dat.
>
> There is an incremented soname, which is unfortunate, but I guess that's
> unavoidable as technically the renamed PVALUE symbol is an ABI break.

But PVALUE/PROJVALUE is the name of a structure. Since this is not C++, it
doesn't appear anywhere in the shared library ABI. This is not an ABI
break, it's an API break.

> So other than wishing the shlib major change was somehow avoidable,
> looks good to me.

The change was made to Makefile.am, but not Makefile.in (more reason to
avoid those generated files in git), so everyone has been testing against
the old soname.

--
Elliott