[Proj] Fwd: PSG Dataset ver 9.0 released on 15th December 2016

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Dec 18 19:19:14 EST 2016

Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> writes:

>            EPSG NEWS: ver 9.0 release
>
>            On 15th December 2016, EPSG Dataset ver 9.0 was released
>            (Access and SQL download).

There is a pkgsrc (portable packaging system) entry for the EPSG
dataset.   I tried to update it to 9.0, but found that I couldn't fetch
the files.  I expected there was perhaps churn in file naming
conventions, so I went to the site to figure that out, and found that
you have to create an account and log in to download the dataset.
That's awkward for packaging systems that fetch things for the user, and
raises the question of whether this is open data.

 - Does anyone know what's going on with the login requiremnt?

 - Are the database files freely redistributable?

 - Is there a mirror that one can just download them from?

 - Other than being in proj or postgis, is there any reason for a user
   to want access to the raw SQL input files?