[Proj] HARN nadgrid files

support at mnspoint.com support at mnspoint.com
Tue Dec 27 01:47:27 EST 2016

Hello,

It looks like the reasons why grid shift files are not much used or
referenced is that usually there are other ways available to fix small
map errors ... and using grid shift files would require too much
knowledge in the subject ... and also give too much unrequired accuracy
since the source material is already so much off the line. So most users
and applications are happy with the towgs84 mechanism.

Other questions with grid shift files are:

How much their usage slows down the end product that uses Proj.4
library?

How difficult their usage is for end users to be realistic that they
ever used them?

How could the above questions (or problems) be fixed the most easy way
(for the end user)? Meaning that adding more good code to Proj.4 and/or
choosing better data formats instead of writing more complex manuals
would be preferred.

Janne.