[Proj] PROJ.4 4.9.2 and transformation of points outside datum shift grid

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Feb 2 05:52:52 EST 2016

Hi Bas,

Reverting
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/commit/5d2af3a8 on top of current master
didn't change the behaviour and still resulted in the vertical grid being
(erroneously) applied as in official 4.9.2. The reason is that cs2cs.c always
calls pj_transform() with a non-null z pointer (z=0 if not specified), so this
changeset has no effect on that.

Investigating more, I found the following commit to be the cause :
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/commit/338ea581
" apply patch from #271 to use GTX null value 88.88880f for vertical shifts"
(message should read -88.88880f by the way to reflect the code)

Looking at the grid (downloaded from
https://github.com/NaturalGIS/ntv2_transformations_grids_and_sample_data/blob/master/nl/naptrans2008.gtx
), it appears it doesn't use the official null value -88.88880f  but various big
negative values like -2147479936, -2147479808 and several others as well.

So I think we need probably a mix of both codes for wider compatibility.
Something like :

/* nodata?  */
/* GTX official nodata value if  -88.88880f, but some grids also use other */
/* big values for nodata (e.g naptrans2008.gtx has nodata values like
/*  -2147479936), so test them too */
if( value > 1000 || value < -1000 || value == -88.88880f )

Checking >1000 or <-1000 is somewhat arbitrary, but I'm not aware of vgrids
that have such big offsets (at least on Earth), so it is likely safe. The
original ticket https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/271 doesn't report that
they can cause problems in practice.

Howard ?

Even