[Proj] MGRS invented by Germany?

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Jan 22 16:25:02 EST 2016

Other differences include Zone numbering increasing East - starting at the 180° meridian; zero mention of ANY datums - just the five basic “spheroids:” Clarke 1866, Clarke 1880, Everest 1830, Bessel 1841, & International 1909 - AND the fact that UTM and UPS Grids replaced the United States Domestic and World Polyconic Grids.  There were some mighty similar conventions between the WPG and the later-developed MGRS. I agree that the UTM has many similarities to the DHG and the Russia Belts; however I’m not convinced that the the DHG is the sole originator of the UTM.  The British Grids, albeit different, might be the grand daddy of ‘em all.  The Loxodrome Grid boundaries, of course were exceptions.

To compute the European Datum 1950, the Grid projection tables first had to be computed for the International 1909 ellipsoid.  AMS did that with the 1/2500 scale factor reduction (0.9996) first - before the German computing staff did the work under the supervision of U.S. Army Map Service geodesists.  I think Professor Gigas was the German site representative for that operation supervised by the Americans: Col. Hough C.E., Andrew Glusic, and Jacob A. Wolkeau.

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics (C4G)
266 ERAD (Research)
3531 PFT  (Academic)
Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Research  225-578-4578
Academic 225-578-8536