[Proj] MGRS invented by Germany?

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Fri Jan 22 19:14:12 EST 2016

The paper says

   This grid reference system was, in an abbreviated way, then called
   "UTM-REF" (Universales Transversales Mercator-Referenzsystem), its
   name being derived from the internationally common term "Transversale
   Mercator-Abbildung" ("Transverse Mercator Projection") for the
   Gauss-Krueger "Abbildung".

On 01/22/2016 05:39 PM, Melita Kennedy wrote:

> [...]

SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08540-6449

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662