[Proj] Geodetic datum for the "Netherlands East Indies Southern Zone"?

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 4 11:37:58 EST 2016

Your assumption is likely as good as any regarding ancient datums in Indonesia.  Note that the Dutch established these “datums” primarily in support of their rubber plantations.  Way back when, … , astro datums were just that; individual astronomical observations used as starting points for small, separated triangulation chains in support of local plantations.  The same rationale applies to old French Colonies in the “dark continent” (Africa).

Calling these old systems “datums” is largely a charitable term.

The Grid systems were primarily established in WWII for indirect artillery (and naval) fire support, and were loosely connected to terrestrial systems based on ersatz datums established as cartographic imaginations referred to by academics as “Cartographic License.”

:-)

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics (C4G)
266 ERAD (Research)
3531 PFT  (Academic)
Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Research  225-578-4578
Academic 225-578-8536