[Proj] vertical projection
vincent.mora at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 5 03:21:31 EST 2016
I need to draw terrain sections for several projects (hydrology, geology).
The vertical section is defined by a linestring in the (x,y) plane (e.g.
+proj=lcc). Data in the vicinity of the section are ortho-projected on
the folded plane with coordinates (s,z), where s is the point location
on the line (meters or feet).
For the moment the CRS part of the QGis plugin we are developping is a
bit of a hack, and I'd like to introduce that kind of projection in
proj4 since I believe it belongs there.
A projection on a folded plane is rather common, but in this case:
- the folds are sharp,
- the projection is not well defined for points that lie on the bisector
of two line-segments
- the projection is meaninigless for points that are not in the plane
The proj4 string should contain:
- the line definition (e.g. +wkt=LINESTRING(...))
- the classical definition of the CRS of the line,
- and a thickness (vicinity of the plane)
- has such a CRS it's place in proj4 ?
- do you see obvious errors/misconceptions ?
Some details here
along with the current implementation of section in a QGis plugin.
More information about the Proj