[Proj] Coming releases of PROJ.4

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jun 26 19:55:32 EST 2017

Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> writes:

> A library that already has autotools support, especially one as
> foundational as Proj.4 now is, has a ring of configuration logic
> implemented by all of the packaging system for the myriad of
> distros. Many have built that with our autotools configuration, and if
> we were to yank that away now, we are likely to disrupt them. If we
> had started with CMake from the beginning, this wouldn't have been a
> problem, of course.
>
> Feedback from the distro packagers if this sentiment is contrary to
> reality would be appreciated. Maybe Proj.4 dropping autotools wouldn't
> be a big issue, but it would certainly ripple changes across a lot of
> distributions.

I look after proj in pkgsrc.  Agreed that working autoconf would be nice
to let be.

It's becoming less important because so many other things use cmake, but
cmake is enormous and can take a long time to build on a slowish
machine.  The difference with autoconf is that you need it on the
machihne building the package, not just the development publishing
machine.   So while I agree cmake is the least bad of the "this is
better than autotools" crowd, I see it as a regression.  But I have the
luxury of doing this for fun and not caring if anything works on
windows.