[Proj] +towgs84 approximation error

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 16:27:51 EST 2017

All,

This has been a very interesting thread for me and thanks for all the
insightful geodetic contributions.  The computer science implementation
details (git, et al) are beyond my experience.  But one important detail has
been missed so far.  That is that derivation of a 7-parameter transformation
for any European country is badly ill-defined.  Even for a country the size
of Germany, the adjustment correlations between the rotations and the
translations are extremely high.  That's because, for a "small" area, a
positional difference (error) at a survey monument can be explained by
EITHER a combination of rotations and scale OR just a combination of
translations.  Those effects are only separated out over a very large area
(continental or larger).  Unavoidable surface errors result in statistically
meaningless and egregious translations compared with, say, a simple
3-parameter transformation.  So, while we're gilding 7-parameter
transformations here with rotation matrices fully populated with sines and
cosines, we ought to consider how those transformations were derived.  There
may be acceptance behind them, but little science from a survey-adjustment
perspective.  Better to keep it simple in Europe.

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)