[Proj] +towgs84 approximation error

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 06:53:35 EST 2017

Hi Jochem,

You say that you would like to do
    ETRF2000(R14) <--7par--> pseudo_NL_Bessel <--NTv2-->
true_NL_Bessel<--proj--> true_RD
In Proj.4

This will, as far as I can see, be possible with the Proj.4 pipeline
implementation, when
Kristian's latest pull request "Horisontal and vertical gridshift drivers "
(cf. https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/492 ).

Actually most of what has been mentioned in this thread (and the
neighbouring thread about
dynamical reference systems) is possible using the transformation pipeline
framework, which
Kristian and I have been designing and implementing over the last few
months.

We're making progress, but we're flooded with other tasks as well, so time
allocated to building this
is limited. The plan is, however, to retire our old and venerable
transformation software, trlib
(https://bitbucket.org/KMS/trlib ), so we have no other way to go than to
extend Proj.4 with a full
geodetic framework.

The ubiquity of Proj.4 also means that, realistically speaking,
extending Proj.4 in this way will also be the only viable road to provide
"longterm centimeter accuracy to everyone, everywhere".

But this is just the first step: Once Proj.4 is capable of handling generic
geodetic transformations,
we will have a long process going making the downstream application
projects actually making
that available to end users. Here, we will have to depend on end-users
actually reqiring and
requesting that support.

/Thomas