[Proj] Time for a new release?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Nov 9 09:26:21 EST 2017

Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> writes:

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
> [...]

I think the point is to change master now, so that packages built from
master will sort properly.

Currently we have 4.9.3.   Presumably the release is going to be 4.10 or
5.0 (absent anything drastic, 4.10 seems obviously right).

So, master can be changed right now to 4.9.80, following an ancient
scheme, which is understood to be an alpha of the next real release
after 4.9.  It sorts before 4.10, and after 4.9.3 (and is obviously not
4.9.4).

Part of a release cycle is packagers preparing a package from a tarball
created from master, building that package, and testing it.  It's that
process that is almost certainly driving Roger's request.

The other thing that really helps is for the release tarball creation
process to be scripted and repeatable, with no manual steps, so that
packagers can create them for testing, and be sure that the actual
release will be identical (modulo intentionally changed content).

Greg (who looks after proj in pkgsrc)