[Proj] Time for a new release?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 10 13:26:37 EST 2017

On 11/10/2017 04:51 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
>> To me this is just churn, and makes people have to update all sorts of
>> things for no reason.  I prefer leaving the project name as is, and just
>> using  version numbers as apropriate.   I see nothing wrong with PROJ.4
>> version 5.0.
>
> I'm interested to hear other opinions, although I suppose version
> numbering is the ultimate bike shedding exercise. I agree it's going
> to cause churn, and that churn was my primary objection to
> incrementing the name in the first place. That said, it seems
> dissonant to me to call it PROJ.4 v 5.0.0.

The new release is and major version bump is a good opportunity to
de-emphasize the "4" that crept into the naming. The project in Trac is
just called "proj", as is its package name in Debian, the name of this
mailinglist, etc.

Having the next release be PROJ v.5.0.0 is fine with me. Renaming a
bunch of stuff to PROJ.5 doesn't seem like the best option to me.
Removing the major version from the project name seems the like the
better option. Let the version number be just that again, instead of
part of the project name.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--