[Proj] Pixel area errors

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:56:56 EST 2017

Ken,

lat_ts is a setup parameter used in a few of the projections supported by
proj (cea, merc, stere, wag3 and wink1) - it is not a magic incantation you
can slap on any projection definition string to force it to be "exact"
along any given latitude.

But the proj program has functionality to provide a large amount of
projection distortion information: Try running

echo 12 55  |  proj -VS +proj=merc +ellps=GRS80 +lat_ts=55

Which will give you information about the distortion of a point at 12 E, 55
N (near Copenhagen, Denmark), for a mercator projection with a latitude of
true scale of 55. Not surprising, the scale is 1:

#Mercator
# Cyl, Sph&Ell
# lat_ts=
# +proj=merc +ellps=GRS80 +lat_ts=55
#--- following specified but NOT used
# +ellps=WGS84
#Final Earth figure: ellipsoid
#  Major axis (a): 6378137.000
#  1/flattening: 298.257222
#  squared eccentricity: 0.006694380023
Longitude: 12dE [ 12 ]
Latitude:  55dN [ 55 ]
Easting (x):   767929.55
Northing (y):  4211972.20
Meridian scale (h) : 1.00000000  ( 8.866e-009 % error )
Parallel scale (k) : 1.00000000  ( -1.066e-010 % error )
Areal scale (s):     1.00000000  ( 8.759e-009 % error )
Angular distortion (w): 0.000
Meridian/Parallel angle: 90.00000
Convergence : 0d [ -0.00000000 ]
Max-min (Tissot axis a-b) scale error: 1.00000 1.00000

Then try changing +lat_ts=55 to +lat_ts=54:

#Mercator
# Cyl, Sph&Ell
# lat_ts=
# +proj=merc +ellps=GRS80 +lat_ts=54
#--- following specified but NOT used
# +ellps=WGS84
#Final Earth figure: ellipsoid
#  Major axis (a): 6378137.000
#  1/flattening: 298.257222
#  squared eccentricity: 0.006694380023
Longitude: 12dE [ 12 ]
Latitude:  55dN [ 55 ]
Easting (x):   786909.29
Northing (y):  4316073.03
Meridian scale (h) : 1.02471546  ( 2.472 % error )
Parallel scale (k) : 1.02471546  ( 2.472 % error )
Areal scale (s):     1.05004178  ( 5.004 % error )
Angular distortion (w): 0.000
Meridian/Parallel angle: 90.00000
Convergence : 0d [ -0.00000000 ]
Max-min (Tissot axis a-b) scale error: 1.02472 1.02472

Indeed a quite useful feature of proj! That said, you will probably also
need some basic literature about projections to make real use of this
feature.

/thomas