[Proj] Pixel area errors

strebe at aol.com strebe at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 00:32:42 EST 2017

Ken,

For any projection, at any point that is not a singularity, you compute the Jacobian matrix at that point. From the Jacobian, you can determine the scale factor in any direction. The Jacobian is a convenient way to compute the Tissot indicatrix, which is the measure of distortion at the point.

See, for example:

Piotr H. Laskowski (1989), “The Traditional and Modern Look at Tissot’s Indicatrix”,

The American Cartographer, 16:2, 123-133
http://dx.doi.org/10.1559/152304089783875497

If you only work in one projection, you can probably simplify quite a bit. For example, on spherical Mercator, the scale factor s is

s = sec φ

where φ is the latitude.

This is purely local distance I’m talking about here, which seems to be what you want.

Regards,
— daan Strebe