[Proj] ABI version numbers

Roger Oberholtzer roger.oberholtzer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 05:37:37 EST 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:
> Not that I am aware of. There is this https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/501 though, which gives you some idea of how the binaries how changed over time.
>
> If you volunteer to create an overview of the ABI versions I am sure we can find somewhere in the docs to put it :-)

The reason I ask is that openSUSE use these numbers when naming the
package. The numbers do come from the build:

4.8.0 -> libproj.so.0.7.0
4.9.2 -> libproj.so.9.1.0
4.9.3 -> libproj.so.12.0.0

And so on. So they name the packages libproj0-4.8.0, libproj9-4.9.2,
libproj12-4.9.3.

I accused them of randomly generating the 0, 9 and 12. They said - no
- it comes from the library itself. Which it indeed does seem to do.
So I thought I would see if this is recorded somewhere.

--
Roger Oberholtzer