[Proj] Confusion about Docker images

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Aug 13 09:42:21 EST 2018

On 8/11/18 10:11 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see in https://hub.docker.com/u/osgeo/
> that they are osgeo/proj.4 and osgeo/proj Docker images.
>
> I had some issues to understand what they are / how different they are.
>
> It seems that osgeo/proj is the result of the automated build of master with
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/Dockerfile
> The leading "# osgeo/proj.4" comment in that file should likely be renamed "#
> osgeo/proj" to avoid the confusion
>
> Whereas osgeo/proj.4 is pulled by travis/docker.sh and used by travis/
> build_docs.sh to build the website documentation.
> - What is the source of this osgeo/proj.4 Docker image ?

It was one that I was maintaining locally. I have pushed it to
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/docs/docbuild/Dockerfile

> - Shouldn't that be renamed to osgeo/proj-doc-deps or somthing like that to
> avoid confusion ?

done. osgeo/proj-docs

> - and its description at https://hub.docker.com/r/osgeo/proj.4/ "A Proj.4
> image with a full set of grid files" is also misleading.

I removed this image to eliminate confusion. If anyone was actually
using it, they'll be able to find the osgeo/proj, which is built
automatically with every commit from ./Dockerfile in the source tree. I
have refreshed it to use Ubuntu 18.04.

Sorry for the confusion.

Howard