[Proj] PROJ 5.0.0RC6

Matthias Gabriel matthias.gabriel at etit.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Feb 28 05:33:15 EST 2018

Hi Kristian,

thank you for your answer..

I run your command on my Windows Installation and unfortunately it produces:

echo 12 50 306 0 | cct.exe +proj=pipeline +step +inv +proj=lonlat +datum=WGS84 +ellps=WGS84 +step +proj=utm +zone=33 | cct.exe +proj=pipeline +step +inv +proj=utm +zone=33 +step +proj=lonlat +datum=WGS84 +ellps=WGS84
cct.exe: Bad transformation arguments - (major axis or radius = 0 or not given)
    'cct.exe -h' for help

The error stems from the second pipeline. If I remove it I get the proper UTM coordinates, but the second part fails:

echo 285015.7633 5542944.0186 306.0000 0.0000 | cct.exe +proj=pipeline +step +inv +proj=utm +zone=33 +step +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84
cct.exe: Bad transformation arguments - (major axis or radius = 0 or not given)
    'cct.exe -h' for help

About the +datum modifier: I don't really understand, what are cs2cs modifiers and what not... Why is it implied that +proj=utm +zone=33 would assume "WGS84" long-lat coordinates as input? According to an earlier email I thought to have read that the assumption to be able to use WGS84 as an universal reference in proj4 is flawed and that this is the motivation for new API?!

Thank you for your help, Regards,
Matthias