[Proj] Correction of definition of CRS EPSG 5456 and 5457

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Jan 22 05:26:25 EST 2018

Just a few comments regarding early-binding EPSG definitions in PROJ.4. This is indeed a shortcoming . The good news is that we are actively working towards changing the situation. With the new version, that will be released soon(-ish), we introduce “transformation pipelines” that lays the foundation for a late-binding implementation in the future. Specifically,  the a late-binding implementation logic is destined to go into the proj_create_crs_to_crs function in the new API. The discussion about this has been spread out across several GitHub issues on both the PROJ.4 and QGIS pages. Here’s a link to one of the discussions touching on the need for the possibility to specify the area for which a given transformation is needed: https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/559

The actual work towards a late-binding implementation will probably be started in the second half of 2018. At least if I am going to take lead on it. I have a rough idea how to do it, but haven’t got the time until after summer to actually do it.

/Kristian