[Proj] proj on Windows: mini howto for Cygwin

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Sat May 5 00:45:48 EST 2018

Hi there,

since "proj" uses OSGeo4W to release Windows builds, some users are
disappointed since OSGeo4W hasn't updated this library for quote a
while. Since I wanted to do some tests with latest proj, I had to
compile it for myself. Perhaps you're interested in the steps needed.

I've used a standard default "Cygwin" installation on Windows 7.
In addition to the base ones, you also need these packages:
autogen, automake, gcc-core, libtool, make

You also need to pull the release from GIT or get the tar.gz archive.
In the tar.gz, "autogen.sh" is missing. You can grep it from GIT.

After starting cygwin, you can just build it like this:
./autogen.sh
./configure (add a prefix if needed)
make (add -j for multicore building)
make install

You don't need to "make install", you can run tools like "cs2cs" from
"src/" for testing propose: "cd src" and "./cs2cs --version"

HTH
Tobias