[Proj] [gdal-dev] Coordinate system improvements - GDAL, libgeotiff, PROJ barn raising

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 16 15:20:09 EST 2018

Hi Martin,

> Real use case: since I have not yet been able to compile GDAL with the
> "--with-java=yes" option on MacOS (maybe it is an issue on my side)

I don't have a Mac, so I cannot directly help. Probably some path to where the JDK is located
is not appropriate set in configure.ac

But actually this --with-java option is not used at all to build the Java bindigs, bu to allow a
GDAL driver (MDB) to be able to use a Java library under the hood...

For the Java bindings, cd to swig/java, editing java.opt if needed and 'make'

> GeoAPI interfaces are derived from ISO 19111, which is available from
> OGC there:
>
>     http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=39049
>
> I suggest to use ISO 19111 as the primary source. GeoAPI interfaces may
> be used for saving time (e.g. with copy-and-paste) or for filling holes
> in areas not covered by ISO 19111, but in case of doubt the above
> OGC/ISO document should be the authoritative reference. Note however
> that ISO 19111 is going to change - its revision process is nearly
> completed. For example GeodeticDatum will be renamed
> GeodeticReferenceFrame. The WKT 2 format (ISO 19162) is also going to be
> updated accordingly. Those changes have not yet been reflected in GeoAPI.
>
> If you consider defining a C/C++ API derived from ISO 19111, directly or
> indirectly (through current GeoAPI interfaces), I would be very
> interested in including this C/C++ API in GeoAPI if you agree, and
> propose them as an OGC standard. That way, there would be no need to
> define JNI wrappers for Proj anymore. JNI wrappers for the C/C++ API
> would be sufficient to handle any implementation of that API, with Proj
> being one of them, and the test suite mentioned in my previous email
> could be run on Proj with no additional effort.

Thanks for the pointers. Some interesting reading to digest. Yes, if the API can itself rely on a
standard, that could be a good thing.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com