[Proj] Use of SQLite

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon May 21 10:12:13 EST 2018

On 05/21/2018 04:56 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 21 May 2018 at 16:41, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>>> Could you point exactly which terms of http://www.epsg.org/termsofuse
>>> forbid modification of EPSG data?
>>
>> You should read my message again, > I quoted the relevant parts:

> I believe I have read it carefully enough.
>
> My point was, that your conclusion above, ie. "does not include modification"
> seems to be a bit premature and inaccurate for the overal picture of
> what is permitted or and what is not.
> Especially, that the ToU only explicitly forbids distribution for profit.

It forbids distribution of the EPSG Facilities for profit, not the data.
These are different things as defined in the license.

Forbidding distribution for profit is non-free too. It breaks the first
item in the OSD & DFSG:

"
 1. Free Redistribution

 The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away
 the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
 containing programs from several different sources. The license shall
 not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.
"

https://opensource.org/osd-annotated
https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

> That is why I have asked if there are any additional resources to look at,
> where it clearly states modifications are forbidden.

If modification is not explicitly allowed in the license terms, it's
forbidden by copyright.

This also why the FastAC code in LASzip makes it incompatibly with the
LGPL which explicitly allows modification, see:

 https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-grass-devel/2014-August/021701.html

Kind Regards,

Bas