[Proj] Use of SQLite

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue May 22 02:58:28 EST 2018

Le 21/05/2018 à 21:44, Howard Butler a écrit :

> The situation at the moment is projects (Debian, GDAL, SIS) and
> commercial entities (see ESRI's approach) must actively work around
> the licensing of the EPSG database

The work around for EPSG licensing terms are the same than the
workaround for using a GPL or LGPL library in any Apache project. The
industry has already accepted this situation. Likewise for Debian, they
have a "non-free" repository.

> If EPSG wishes for such open interpretation enforcement, they should
> instead chose a copyleft license to require everyone to provide source
> for their interpretations.

It is not clear to me how it would have improved the current
"incompatible CRS definitions" problem. This is not only EPSG; ISO is
also considering to create a geodetic registry. The concept of "Open
Standard" is still in development, but both the Open Source Initiative
(OSI) and Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) are now providing
definitions [1] [2]. None of them allow to modify standards in
uncontrolled way. Wikipedia gives also more definitions [3]. It is not
unreasonable to expect the Open Source world to adapt.

    Martin

[1] https://opensource.org/osr
[2] http://fsfe.org/activities/os/def.html
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard