[Proj] Use of C++

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 23 07:05:54 EST 2018

On mercredi 23 mai 2018 13:50:53 CEST Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> On Wed, 23. May 2018 at 12:25:12 +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> > I know that this choice of C++ could be perceived as an obstacle for
> > portability of PROJ, but I don't think this is an actual concern in
> > practice.

> Internally, but with a (alternative?) C-API to the outside?
> Or also C++ as
> the (only) external interface?

OK let me try to summarize my thoughts in a bullet list fashion :-)
- C++ as mostly for internal use for new code to be added, related to CRS
modelling and WKT managment
- Part of that C++ code as possibly externally accessible
- Part of that C++ externally accessible API might also be exposed through new
C API
- existing proj C API still available through the plans exposed in the past.

The first 3 bullets are quite similar to how GDAL handles things.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com