[Proj] PROJ 5.1.0RC1

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu May 24 14:16:55 EST 2018

On jeudi 24 mai 2018 19:06:50 CEST Kristian Evers wrote:
> I figured that would go wrong. Frankly, I find this stuff super confusing. I
> followed this guide:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info
> .html which says that current should be incremented if an "interface" have
> been added, removed or updated. Check, we’ve added a new function to proj.h
> and several things are updated. When that is the case, revision should be
> reset.  It also says that age should be incremented if an "interface" has
> been added, which it has. At least in the way that I have interpreted the
> term “interface” but I guess I am wrong in my interpretation.

Before you commit this was : -version-info 13:0:0

so current=13
     revision=0
     age=0

"current should be incremented if an "interface" have> been added, removed or
updated" ==> current=14
"When that is the case, revision should be reset." ==> revision=0
"age should be incremented if an "interface" has been added, which it has" ==>
age=1

hence 14:0:1

I get the same result when following sequentially the steps of HOWTO-RELEASE

Starting with 13:0:0

   - If the library source code has changed at all since the last update,
     then increment revision (c:r:a becomes c:r+1:a).

==> 13:1:0

   - If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last
     update, increment current, and set revision to 0.

==> 14:0:0

   - If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then
     increment age.

==> 14:0:1

   - If any interfaces have been removed since the last public release, then
     set age to 0.

==> 14:0:1 again

But yes, libtool is not for humans :-)

Even