[Proj] Understanding 2D Helmert

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Oct 28 11:46:22 EST 2018

On dimanche 28 octobre 2018 15:02:05 CET Kristian Evers wrote:
> Why is that? To me it seems somewhat similar to polynomial mappings
> (Horner), in the way that many coefficients are likely to be stored for a
> given transformation. Given a clever way of defining the triangles and
> their corresponding Helmet parameters I think it should be possible to make
> these transformations work. At least as PROJ strings.

You would need to store hundreds of triangles and their parameters, and have
PROJ figure out in which triangle a point it. Certainly doable, but not
directly in the scope of my current work.  And avoid the database to grow too
big with very particular transforms. That said, 600 triangles with 6 double
parameters each + the x,y coordinates is just 38.4 KB if you store that as a
compact binary blob. Some balance to know if it is something acceptable in-db
(EPSG style transformations have at most 18 parameters each) or out-db
(grids). The suggestion for the grid approach was to make it more immediatly
usable.

http://www.spatialys.com