[Proj] Understanding 2D Helmert

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Mon Oct 29 03:44:10 EST 2018

Kristian,

if you register to the website I mentioned earlier, you get those plain
text files, 385 kB uncompressed for both directions. For use in PROJ you
would need an official grant to redistribute them. Looking into the
files, it looks like a 6-parms affine transformation instead of simple
Helmert 2D with 4 parameters.

The main difference to current ntv2-like horizontal grids is that this
method transforms from projected coordinates to projected coordinates,
instead of reprojecting to degrees, transforming, and reprojecting to a
new projected CRS. So you have to code something new anyhow.

Would be a nice idea for GSOC, if someone is interested to dive into it.

Greetings,
Andre Joost