[Proj] cs2cs - specifying UTM zone on command line

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Oct 29 13:42:48 EST 2018

On 29 Oct 2018, at 19:11, Robb Main <rmain.mws at gmail.com<mailto:rmain.mws at gmail.com>> wrote:

One final question, and I'll stop beating this to death:
From my naive viewpoint, I want to supply a lat & long coordinate, and receive a UTM coordinate (i.e, zone, easting, northing).
Obviously, determining a zone is the first step required in the process, but it would seem to be something that cs2cs could (/should?) handle.
The zone IS determined from the longitude (even if it is supplied on the command line).

Is there some philosophical reason PROJ tools don't currently do this?

Theoretically PROJ could do that, but I don’t think that it should. The zone is set up before any coordinates are passed to the projection, so given the current architecture PROJ wouldn’t know what to base the zone choice on. This could of course be changed so that for every coordinate passed to the projection an “optimal zone” could be determined from the input and the projection parameters adjusted accordingly. Let’s have a look at what that would mean in a real world implementation. Say you have two coordinates with the same latitude and the longitude spaced exactly six degrees. For instance somewhere in Germany, 51N 6E and 51N 12E. Using a dynamically assigned UTM zone the first coordinate would end up in zone 31 and the second in zone 32. Let’s look at the UTM coordinates for both points:

$ echo 6 51 | proj +proj=utm +zone=31
710488.86       5654109.18

$ echo 12 51 | proj +proj=utm +zone=32
710488.86       5654109.18

They are exactly the same. Now image converting a dataset of the German borders with a UTM projection that dynamically assigns the zone. That is going to be a very big mess when plotted in a map. Additionally, you have eliminated the possibility to convert the data back to geodetic coordinates - which one of the 60 possible ways do you choose?

Would there be any point in me coding up a patch to support this & submitting a pull request?

No.

(I guess that's really two questions...).
Thanks again,
Robb.