[Shapelib] Re: shapelib

Eduardo Patto Kanegae lists at webmapit.com.br
Thu Oct 7 12:47:57 EDT 2004

# Hi Frank,

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:06:04 -0400, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> escreveu:

> De: Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
> Data: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:06:04 -0400
> Para: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
> Assunto: Re: [postgis-users] shapelib
>
> pinktomate wrote:
> > hello peace for all
> >
> > I need to install shape lib but it requires just do a "make", install
> > some libraries and...????, doesn't work, how to activate the commands,
> > this is the mesage
>
> Dear Pinktomate,
>
> Try "make lib lib_install".
>
> I think I will need to prepare a more standard build and installation
> environment for the next shapelib release.  My stone age approach seems
> unpopular.  :-)

# per example: the current binary ShapeLib distro does not include all shapelib bin tools... currently I build all shapeLib tools on my linux machine. :-)

> Note, the lib and lib_install targets may not work for you on nonstandard
> platforms.  If so, I would suggest:
>
> % ar r libshp.a shpopen.o dbfopen.o
> % cp libshp.a /usr/local/lib
> % cp shapefil.h /usr/local/include
>
> My original thinking was to keep shapelib dead simple, and so people could
> easily incorporate it into their applications. But the weight of history seems
> to be encouraging me to treat shapelib as a proper installable package even
> though it is small and simple.

# interesting thinking... I always use the ShapeLib tools, such as shpdump, dbfdump, shputils, etc... but, *i think*, I didn´t see yet a program that use the lib pack of shapelib...

best

Eduardo Patto Kanegae
http://www.webmapit.com.br
ICQ: 303747254