[Shapelib] DBFAddField

David.Gancarz at ci.orlando.fl.us David.Gancarz at ci.orlando.fl.us
Fri Jun 24 06:59:49 EDT 2005

Hanne:

Unfortunately, the 10-character limit for field names is unavoidable:  it
is a limitation imposed by the dbf format (used by shapefiles to store
attribute data).

David Gancarz

"Hanne Ribergaard" <hanne.ribergaard at breakoutimage.dk>
Sent by: shapelib-bounces at lists.maptools.org
06/24/2005 05:53 AM
Please respond to
Shapelib Development <shapelib at lists.maptools.org>

<shapelib at lists.maptools.org>
cc

Subject
[Shapelib] DBFAddField

Hello,

I just started using shapelib to creating shape files.
I having a problem whit my fields name because they are more the 11
character long. The DBFAddField only take up till 11 characters, is this
because shape only support fieldname under 11 characters? Or is there a
way of using longer field names in the shape format

Thanks

Hanne