[Shapelib] Date attribute support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 23 10:53:34 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does current/CVS version of Shapelib support date type for attributes
> (DBF table)?
> AFAIK OGR supports date data type.
> I tried to dump DBF table with date fields using dbfdump utility from
> Shaplib 1.2.10 and I got date fields reported as string.

Mateusz,

Shapelib does not have a "date" field type.  But applications can use the
native field type functions to find out if a field is a date, and to create
date fields.  That is what OGR does to implement date support.   I'm not
really keen at this point in adding a lot of special field types in the
dbf code of shapelib.