[shapelib] what format to return null values from character fields

Rob Cairns iotc at 3i.co.za
Fri May 12 05:16:02 EDT 2006

Thanks for the advice Frank. As you say the problem is a notional rather
than programming issue. I initially thought that we should standardise on
dBase specifications, but on reflection think its better to go with ESRI
specifications because the dbf table is really part of a composite
shapefile. There is an article at
 http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.article
Show&d=18868 which seems to suggest that a null value in a number field
should be returned as VT_NULL while a null value in a string field should
be returned as an empty string "".
Best Regards
Rob