[Shapelib] Shapefile creation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 30 23:55:55 EST 2006

Mike.Sexton at ga.gov.au wrote:
> Hi,
>

> For some time I have been wondering how one produces shapefiles from
> scratch and have found it very difficult to find relevant information
>
> I have numerous files of X,Y data that describe points, lines and
> polygons that I wnt to capture as shapefiles.
>

> Fortunately I found  the shapelib pages
>

> I downloaded the shapelib tar file and shocked myself when the make worked.
>

> I have been able to make some simple shapefiles by following the
> instructions, and I am now wondering how I can use my X,Y files.
>

> For example: shpadd testfile.shp 10.0 1.0 20.0 2.0 30.0 3.0, works fine
>

> but I want to load an X,Y file containing 1000’s of point into the
> shapefile. I just cant see how to stream the coordinates into the ahpadd
> program
>

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Mike,

If you have even a modest mastery of C/C++, it should be possible to modify
the shpadd program to do what you want.  Shpadd is really just intended
as a modest example of using the api.

If not, well, perhaps you could use some other scripting language to
transform your text file into a bunch of shpadd calls?  If not, perhaps
you will have to beg a programmer of some stripe to help.