[Shapelib] Character field longer than 255

Jérôme Cuinet jerome.cuinet at cose.fr
Mon Aug 10 11:26:22 EST 2009

Hello,

Since this afternoon, I have searched and I have find a more recent
shapefile library in gdal project. And in the gdal version, the character
field can be written with a length longer than 255, but it is read as it
have a length codded only on the first byte.

So, what's happenning ? What is the rule ? Why theses exceptions for
character fields ?

In http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1202 Frank W. said that there were a
fix in shapelib, but I don't see any release after 1.2.10 in april 2003. If
a more recent shapelib exists, where it is ?

Thanks,

Jérôme Cuinet