[Shapelib] Including shapelib.dll in Visual C++ 2008 Express project

raphael_mws r.speck at minewolf.com
Sun Jun 21 03:38:35 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I am having a real hard time including the shapelib.dll in my VC++ 2008
project. I did the following:

- recompile the Visual C++ shapelib project from
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/contrib/DotNetArchive.zip. This worked
fine, and I got the output dll and lib files.

- include the shapefil.h in my .cpp file successfully

- tried various possibilities to get the shapelib.dll in the correct PATH.
Actually, it should be found by the compiler, I even tried putting it into
C:\WINDOWS\system32 to make sure that's not the problem.

- experimented with various combinations of __declspec( dllimport ) to
import the functions from the dll

When I try to compile, I always get the following error:
"error LNK2019: Verweis auf nicht aufgelöstes externes Symbol "_SHPOpen" in
Funktion "_wmain"."
(in English: unreferenced extern symbol "... )

Can anybody please give me a hint what I might be doing wrong? Or, even
better, send me a sample VC project using shapelib.dll?

Thanks and kind regards,
Raphael