[Shapelib] /contrib/ utilities make error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 23 10:19:32 EST 2010

guy picton phillipps wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> A further Make question - this time when attempting to run make in the
> contrib directory to build the following binaries: dbfcat, dbfinfo,
> shpcat, shpcentrd, shpdata, shpdxf, shpfix, shpinfo, shpproj & shpwkb.
>
> I am installing on fresh Ubuntu9.10 32-bit server, having previously
> installed:
>
> freetype-2.3.12
> gd-2.0.35
> jpegsrc.v6b
> libpng-1.4.1
> proj-4.7.0
> zlib-1.2.5
> shapelib (dbfadd, dbfcreate, dbfdump, shpadd, shpcreate, shpdump,
> shprewind & shptest)
>

> When running 'make' in the contrib directory as root, I get the
> following output:

> root at vbox9-10serveri386:/usr/local/src/shapelib-1.3.0b1/contrib# make
> cc -g -I.. -DPROJ4 -D_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DDEBUG -DDEBUG2  shpdxf.c
> ../shpopen.o ../dbfopen.o   -o shpdxf
> shpdxf.c: In function âmainâ:
> shpdxf.c:218: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function âexitâ
> shpdxf.c:221: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function âstrcpyâ
> shpdxf.c:222: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function âstrncpyâ
> shpdxf.c:222: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function âstrlenâ
> shpdxf.c:223: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function âstrcatâ
> ../shpopen.o: In function `SHPOpen':
> /usr/local/src/shapelib-1.3.0b1/shpopen.c:440: undefined reference to
> `SASetupDefaultHooks'

Guy,

I believe this is a missing entry for safileio.o in the makefile and I
believe it is fixed in CVS. I have prepared a new beta release of shapelib
1.3.0 that should have the fix:

   http://download.osgeo.org/shapelib/shapelib-1.3.0b2.tar.gz

I'd actually push ahead and make this the 1.3.0 release except that
now there is discussion of adding 64bit integer support for wide
integer fields which seems like something that should be addressed
in the 1.3.0 release.