[TinyOWS-dev] [tinyows] #15: Insert transaction doesn't return id of features in the response

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:02:04 EST 2009

Normand,

 Olivier:  I don't think idgen = ReplaceDuplicate means delete the existing
>  feature in the database that has the same id as the one in the insert
>  request.  Of my understanding of the OGC 04-094 table 3 of the
>  specification document, it means more to replace the id of the request
>  with a new generated id.

Yeap i really think you're right !
Need to be fix in SVN

> Next, I don't think we need to generate a random id when idgen =
>  Generatenew or when idgen = ReplaceDuplicate.  For my part I would take
>  the id of the last feature in the layer and increment it by one.  I think
>  it will be simpler to manage.

Yes for serial PostgreSQL type it could be done quite easily,
but what about other data types ?  :

 - varchar one

 - (long) int one
     - > with collision risk on several simultaneous requests

On the other hand a reliable random id generator ANSI compliant
could be a pain to implement, i took any suggestion ! :)

--
Olivier