[TinyOWS-dev] Some thoughts and question

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Mar 1 20:32:17 EST 2011

Great Olivier :-)

Sorry I haven't answerd your previous post, but I intended to work
through my answer more than I had time too.ot had time to sit down
experimenting again.

But I will. I have some idea about setting up a test server with quite
huge datasets.
Seving TMS through mapproxy or something similar from mapserver. And
then, when the user wants to edit, he gets a wfs layer from tinyows from
only that extent, layed over the tiles.

I have also thought about the possibility to only request the one
geometry that the user wants to edit. Would that be possible?

Then, about getting attribute information from the tables, why not take
the user input point or box from information tool and query postis
directly?

With this upset, the PostGIS server will get a lot of work when seeding
the tiles. Then it has a lot extra capacity to deliver wfs-services
through tinywfs and answer attribute questions when mapproxy or some
other tilecahce handles the most common panning and zooming.

It is from this perspective it is nice if tinyows can pick out the very
extent or even the very exact geometry that the user wants.

I will get back after some testing.

Here is also a very interesting blog post about different payloads with
different formats:
http://www.tokumine.com/2010/09/20/gis-data-payload-sizes/

Regards
Nicklas